Monday, February 27, 2006

First Impressions: Power Rangers Mystic Force

Well, I happened to peak in last week and watch the first two episodes of Power Rangers Mystic Force. I'm not exactly sure what I think. The forced ethnic diversity of the show seemed a lot more muted, as well as the attempt to hide everyone's New Zealand accents. Xander's is especially thick. Watching the episode my mind went: "This is so close to the Japanese version... yet so very very different."

Other thoughts:
The show feels like one of those kids shows like Ocean Girl that aired on the CBC from New Zealand during an after school slot (4:30pm if memory serves) thinking a little bit on it, I guess it would qualify now.

Nick has eyes that make me want to stare at him. His eyes are very captivating, his acting is not.

I love it! A Pink Ranger that doesn't Think Pink.

The world of Power Rangers has a funny way of not saying someone dies or is out to kill them. They say "destroy" instead. So question... Are they machines? Yes I know you can destroy a body, but usually someone says they don't want to be killed... not destroyed. Interesting concept

I think I would have preferred the Japanese version of the non-morphed color coded outfits. There's just something about these that make me go. "Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog... cheap cosplay?"

And last... If the Yellow Ranger is male... must he be a complete ditz?

No comments: